${site.data.firmName}${SEMFirmNameAlt} ${site.data.firmName}${SEMFirmNameAlt}
254-633-2876 | fax 866-825-8786
Main Menu
  • Let
  • Help
  • Free No Obligation

Bankruptcy Attorney
Helping People Of Waco
Find Debt Relief

Over 65 and Property Taxes

If you are over 65 years old or disabled, then there is help if you don't have enough money to pay property taxes.

It is that time of year again. Christmas and New Years have come and gone, and property taxes are due on January 31st. But what can you do if you don't have enough money left in your bank account to pay your property taxes?

Ignoring the problem won't work. If you fail to pay your property taxes and you do not have a lien on your home, you might lose your home to foreclosure due to delinquent taxes. If you have another lien on your home like a home equity loan, the home equity company may pay the taxes for you but you will have to pay them back plus pay them for next year's taxes which will cause your house payment to go up.

If you are over 65 or disabled, you may qualify for an exemption on your taxes which will help lower what you owe. However, did you know that you may also be entitled to pay your property taxes in installments without penalty or interest if you make your payments on time?

If you are over 65 years old or older, you may be able to pay your property taxes in installments without interest or penalties if the installments are made on time. According to the State of Texas's (see http://www.window.state.tx.us/taxinfo/proptax/tx96_295_00/pay00.html):

If you are 65 or older and have applied for the homestead exemptions for senior citizens, you may pay your current taxes on your home in four installments. You must pay at least one-fourth of your taxes before February 1 (delinquency date). The remaining payments are due before April 1, June 1, and August 1, without any penalty or interest. If you miss an installment payment, you will have a penalty (12 percent) and also interest (at l percent for each month delinquent) added to the installment amount. You must indicate on your first payment that you are paying your home taxes in installments. Installment payments apply to all taxing units on the tax bill.

This same installment plan applies if you are disabled. "Disabled" means either (1) you can't engage in gainful work because of physical or mental disability or (2) you are 55 years old and blind and can't engage in your previous work because of your blindness. If you receive disability benefits under the federal Old Age, Survivors, and Disability Insurance Program through the Social Security Administration, you will qualify.

If you are still struggling to pay your bills, call 254-633-2876 or email us at [email protected] TODAY for a FREE, no-obligation consultation to see what an experienced Waco bankruptcy attorney can do for you!

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys The College of the State Bar Of Texas Greater Waco Chamber of Commerce Member Logo

Office Location

The Kehl Law Firm, P.C. 3715 Bellmead Dr Waco, TX 76705


Fax: 866-825-8786

Waco Law Office Map

Connect With Us

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy